Sodium hydroxide is a term you may not often hear or are unfamiliar with, but it is an ingredient in many skin care products. This ingredient has caused quite a stir in recent years. It is one of the beautiful chemical ingredients that can cause peeling and obvious irritation in the skin. Is sodium hydroxide safe and beneficial for the skin, or does it have adverse effects? Read on to find out the answer and discover all the details.
What is sodium hydroxide?
Sodium hydroxide has caustic soda, sodium hydrate, and lye soda. This ingredient found in household cleaning tools that whiten or polish furniture and household items is the same as skincare products but with a lighter formula. When mixed with skincare product formulations, this ingredient helps exfoliate the face and increases the effectiveness of other ingredients and many more.
What are the benefits of sodium hydroxide for the skin?
- Maintains the skin’s pH: If you want healthy and fresh skin, you must keep the pH of the skin, i.e., the pH. The latter plays a vital role in protecting the skin from polluting factors that may harm your skin. In this context, Sodium Hydroxide helps maintain a moderate pH for a fresh complexion.
- Increases the effectiveness of skincare products: Just as sodium hydroxide maintains the pH level of the face, this ingredient also helps maintain a moderate PH level in skincare products. This component increases the effectiveness of skincare products and keeps them for as long as possible.
- Increases the foam in the face wash: Sodium hydroxide helps increase the foam in the face wash and activates the oils’ work.
- Reduces pigmentation: Sodium hydroxide helps exfoliate the skin and thus reduces pigmentation.
- Treats pimples and acne: Since sodium hydroxide maintains a moderate PH level, it treats spots and pigmentation.
How can sodium hydroxide be used on the skin?
Sodium hydroxide is included in skin care formulations, so if you use it, look for products that contain it. Sodium hydroxide alone cannot be applied to the face as it can be harsh and cause significant skin irritation.
What are the side effects of sodium hydroxide?
Sodium hydroxide can have side effects on the skin, mainly if used in abundance or high proportions, as it is an exemplary chemical component. Among the main adverse effects:
- Skin rash or itching.
- Peeling of the face and dryness of the skin clearly and very sharply.
- Skin irritation and redness.
Who can use sodium hydroxide on the skin?
- If you have sensitive skin, we advise avoiding skin care products containing this ingredient. If you have normal, combination, oily or dry skin, we recommend you try the effect on the palm or wrist of your hand before applying it to the face.